Monday, August 22, 2016

The Always Do It Differently Approach


Over the last few years, I have found myself working with organizations, coaches and consultants who use variations of a theme as follows;
  • Standard Team Startup Checklist
  • Team Kickoff Procedure
  • Standardized Reporting Template
  • Standardized KPI scheme
  • Proper Percentage of Developers to QA

These conversations often seem to revolve around the concept of "scaling agile" and "efficiency" for the coaching team.

I will submit that perhaps a different approach might be possible.

I see each team and each situation differently. I prefer to put my complete self and energy into doing the best for those that I work for based on their specific needs.

I don't actually feel comfortable with "following the standard checklist". That made sense for flying an aircraft (and necessary). I find that when coaching, it hinders my ability to be the my best for the team, organization or group I am working for.  Yes, it is more work for me. However, I find the client gets better results if I meet their needs rather than the needs of standardization (or effeciency).

Some will claim checklists for startup are about "quality"... OK.  I concede, in some cases that might make sense in a Training context. 

We are not trying to create "standard work" or "same piece size" when we start a team. We are working with a living system of people who have invited us into their lives. They deserve our respect. 

I find that by embedding myself completely into a situation and having an approach of "Always Do It Differently" keeps me fresh, engaged, doesn't let me slack off, and helps me to love my career.

I understand that Innovation does not come from following scripts and the same procedures every time. I know as a professional that I too must be Innovative and always learning. 

What is strange to me about following predetermined team startup processes is that we are so often asking our clients to question procedures and standard approaches. We want them to value change, get used to it, embrace it! 
  
Killbot Assembly Line - Courtesy of Pascal

I enjoy the challenge of having the best session I can come up with for the people I am working for. It keeps me alive, keeps my professionalism up, and gives my clients the best possible help for their situation.

It stands to reason that every coach will have some common tools they know work for different situations and that they are comfortable with. We don't need to re-invent the wheel. That would not make sense. However, by stretching ourselves to always come up with a different approach or idea for the next engagement or team keeps us learning and exploring!

I personally enjoy the reaction from teams when they received a session that I invented when I woke up that morning, perfectly matching their situation, or knowing that I have the skill to take an existing technique or tool and modify it for improvement while I am flying to their city.

Agile coaches should be embracing, innovating, changing, and experimenting along with their clients. I need to be clear here. There is a difference between training and coaching. This message is more about coaching. That being said, I know some amazing Teachers who pride themselves in always changing and improving and would be very unhappy to hear about a standardized, designated way to start a new class for the school year. 

For the next few months, consider trying ....

"The Always Do It Differently Approach"

  • Start every team differently based on their needs
  • Talk to the team and then consider where it makes sense to start
  • Take existing coaching tools and techniques and see if you can improve them for the current situation
  • Try and push yourself to learn something different from another coach or leader
  • Build some methods to share new ideas between coaches
  • Feel the joy of pushing yourself to a new level to serve others
  • See if you end up being a better coach for this

If after several months, you want to go back to procedures and processes, you always have that choice..  Agility is after all about what's right for people, and you as a coach are also a person. 

If you would to talk about me providing my services for yourself personally, for your team or your organization, feel free to reach out to me. I enjoy new challenges :->

More importantly...


For the next few months.....

 consider.......

 "The Always Do It Differently Approach"