Tuesday, October 11, 2016

The We versus Them Assessment


A friend asked me to re-post this article here. It was originally posted on linkedIN on June 20, 2016. Here goes...

. . . . . . . . . . .

This weekend I had a remarkable experience that really got me thinking..


I was talking with a fellow member of the agile community (we'll call her Alice).

Alice was telling me about why she liked the company she works for.


What truly stuck out for me was the fact that she continually referred to the company's groups as "We".  For whatever reason, I don't see this word used often when agile coaches, Scrum Masters or change agents talk about the companies where they are engaged (or work at). 

This got me thinking..


I wonder if you could assess the health of a company's teams or culture by simply listening to conversation and keeping track of the number of times people use the word We versus the word Them?

There is a possibility that this approach would also allow a coach to quickly notice where the language changes to Them to relate to other internal departments to discover where there might be room to help with interactions.






The simplicity of this seems like it may a totally bogus idea but an idea isn't worth having unless it's shared (and possibly criticised).

Of course, I hope someone doesn't try and use this idea in some horrible, inappropriate way. You never know though... Could the approach remove countless survey questions and senseless sessions?  The question jumps directly to People and Interactions.

This whole topic encouraged me to ask that you run a personal experiment (for yourself).

If while you were reading this, you have been wondering about you and other departments in the company you work at..

Have you considered...


"Are your customers....  We or Them ?" 


Just a thought.

To Alice (you know who you are)...


Thanks for the inspirational chat. <smile>