Wednesday, June 21, 2017

A story about a Hammer


When I was young, my father bought me a hammer.

While learning how to use it, I recall directly hitting my thumb one day. In fact, the pain was so excruciating that I doubt I will ever forget. My thumb turned a variety of colours and eventually the nail fell off.

I thanked my father last weekend.... Instead of telling me to try to learn a screwdriver as it might be easier, he convinced me to keep learning and practising and that likely I would hurt myself again. That's how we learn.

My confidence with a hammer increased considerably over time. 

Eventually, I started experimenting with other tools and their uses.  I have had the pleasure of using a variety of tools such as Screwdrivers, Drills, Mitre Saws, Table Saws, Sanders, Routers, and my favourite finishing tool.... A Bisquit Joiner.

I have built a house, build docks and decks, learned plumbing, done insulation, built furniture, and the list goes on. 

There is no challenge that scares me. I believe this is because of the lesson from my father...


When a hammer is the right tool for the job, don't let someone convince you to use another tool just because the hammer is hard to use. Stick with it if it's the right tool. Then, the confidence to use other tools will come on it's own.